It is #TipTuesday, starting today we will be sharing tips weekly on a variety of topics, from things to consider when you are thinking about buying a building to how to maintain your building, and just about everything in between.
With Memorial Day and the start of summer right around the corner, most of you are probably ready for a vacation and a little R&R. Whether you are going to the beach, to visit relatives, taking a cross country road trip, or even heading to Disney World, you should think about how to keep your property and personal belongings safe while you are away.
Here are some helpful tips on how to secure your home and property from unwelcome guests while you are away:
- Get a home monitoring system – Home security is absolutely essential and there are many options to choose from, so make sure you pick one that fits your home. Some home security systems even allow you to view a live video feed remotely from your phone. This small investment is definitely worth your peace of mind whether you’re on vacation or just at the grocery store.
- Set timers on interior lights, this will deter would-be burglars from breaking into your house. It is key to not have your house look empty.
- Stop newspapers and mail, or have a trustworthy neighbor, friend or family member grab it for you. Once again, you want to make it look like you are at home.
- Remove any “hidden” keys, if you have a key that is under a mat, or potted plant, chances are a burglar will look there first. You should give a spare key to a friend, neighbor, or relative in case you forgot about that online order you were having delivered, or someone sticks a flyer on your door.
- Install outdoor security lighting that is activated by motion sensors. Burglars don’t want to be seen, and are likely to strike at night. By installing a motion activated exterior light you will be able to discourage them from going in your house by making it seem like someone is home, or it may help a neighbor see suspicious activity.
- Do any lawn maintenance right before you leave, or hire someone to maintain your lawn while you are on vacation.
- Unplug all nonessential electronics such as computers, TVs, coffee makers, lamps, fans, etc… This will both reduce your risk of fire, and save you some money on your electric bill.
- If you are flying or taking a cruise and leave your car parked at the airport, don’t forget to lock your gps in the glove box or take it with you. Burglars will and have stolen gps systems that are pre programmed with a home address. This will lead them straight to your house- and they already know you’re not home.
- Do not post on social media that you are away from your home, we get it, it is tempting to do so especially in this day in age to post status updates on social media to share your adventure with family and friends. This will let the world know that you aren’t home, and that could leave you being a vulnerable target for thieves.
- Check, Double Check, and Triple check that you have locked your house, your garage, your windows, and even your Bunce Building. A lock is the first line of defense when you are away from your home. All Bunce Buildings’ door handles have a key lock on them, and we offer other options to lock your building to keep all of your valuables safe, such as our burglar bars and even dead bolts. Stop by any of our lots or call us today to learn more about how we can help you better secure your building.
We hope that everyone has a safe summer filled with lots of rest and relaxation. Make sure to share this post with your friends and family to help them keep their home and valuable possessions safe & secure. If you have any other suggestions to add to this list of summertime home security tips please comment below.
Image Courtesy of Bill Wilson via Flickr